28 Jul CURRENT AFFAIRS 7TH JUNE 2015 TO 13TH JUNE & 28th July 2015
DEBROY PANEL: MAKE TRAIN SERVICES VIABLE
The much-awaited Bibek Debroy committeereport on the restructuring of Indian Railways has laid down a five-year roadmap to evolve a statutory rail regulator, scrap the Rail Budget and make room for more players in an “open access” regime which turns the Railways into just another train-service provider in the country.
NUCLEAR INSURANCE POOL SET UP
Clauses in the Act, which give the operator the right to legal recourse and allow it to sue the suppliers in case of any accident, were seen as being a major hindrance to the growth of the nuclear industry.
These concerns led to the formation of the Indian nuclear insurance pool. R.K. Sinha, Secretary in the Department of Atomic Energy, said this would be a solution for suppliers’ concerns about liability from nuclear risks.
MIGRANT RESOURCE CENTRE LAUNCHED IN CHENNAI
The Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA), Government of India and the Government of Tamil Nadu have set up a Migrant Resource Centre (MRC) in Chennai, which will be functional from June 12, 2015.
NJAC MAKES JUDICIARY MORE INDEPENDENT
Turning the arguments on the National Judicial Appointments Commission (NJAC) on its head and countering the views aired by Union Law Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda recently, the government of Madhya Pradesh, the first State to respond on the issue in the Supreme Court, has said that the new law makes the judiciary more independent and powerful in selection of judges than before.
INS VIKRANT UNDOCKED
India, on June 10, 2015, crossed a major milestone in defence shipbuilding when the maiden indigenous aircraft carrier INS Vikrant was undocked on completion of structural work at the Cochin Shipyard. The carrier is slated for induction in end-2018.
AGREEMENT ON PROPOSED CONSTITUTION FRAMEWORK IN NEPAL.
AFRICAN LEADERS SIGNED TRIPARTITE FREE TRADE AREA (TFTA).
3,800-YEAR-OLD STATUETTES FOUND IN PERU.
CHINA CONDUCTS FOURTH TEST OF WU-14 VEHICLE.
US BECOMES WORLD’S BIGGEST OIL PRODUCER, SURPASSES SAUDI
FIRST INDIA-CHINA YOGA COLLEGE AT YUNNAN MINZU
CHINA LAUNCHED FREIGHT TRAIN SERVICE CONNECTING EUROPE.
INDIAN AND WORLD
INDIA AND NETHERLANDS SIGNED A MOU FOR DEVELOPMENT OF
CABINET NOD TO MOTOR PACT WITH THREE SAARC NATIONS.
PETER VARGHESE: INDIA-JAPAN-AUSTRALIA FORUM NOT ANTI-CHINA.
WORLD DAY AGAINST CHILD LABOUR.
CODE OF CONDUCT IS IN PLACE, FOCUS ON LAC CLARIFICATION.
INDIA, BANGLADESH EXCHANGE 1971 MEMORIES.
IREDA AWARDED MINIRATNA STATUS
Indian Renewable Energy and Development Agency (IREDA) has been awarded the Mini Ratna (Category-I) status by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE). The status was bestowed to the organisation with a view to provide greater financial autonomy and delegation of powers in its operations in line with guidelines of Department of Public Enterprise (DPE)
STRATEGIC DEBT RESTRUCTURING SCHEME BY RBI.
DRAFT FRAMEWORK ON ISSUANCE OF RUPEE LINKED BONDS
CCEA APPROVED PROJECTS IN MADHYA PRADESH AND
NDIA LOSES POULTRY CASE AGAINST UNITED STATES AT WTO.
INTEREST RATE FUTURES: RESERVE BANK GUIDELINES.
ADANI, RELIANCE INK MOUS FOR POWER GENERATION IN
ANTI-DUMPING DUTY ON STEEL IMPORTS FROM CHINA, MALAYSIA
AND SOUTH KOREA.
RS 6,000 CRORE INTEREST-FREE LOAN TO SUGAR MILLS.
Current Affairs 28 July 2015
- Former President APJ Abdul Kalam passes away in Shillong due to sudden illness.
- Gurdaspur attack: All 3 terrorists killed in day long operation by security forces
- E-auction of third phase of FM Radio fetch around Rs 395 cr on day 1
- Supreme Court hears Yakub Memon’s plea for stay on execution, hearing to continue
- Ex-Union Min P K Thungon gets 4.5 yrs jail in corruption case
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake rattled remote islands in the US state of Alaska
- 4 Indian-origin kids among Australia spelling bee contest finalists
- China the main economic espionage threat to U.S.: FBI
- Talks on third bailout package to Greece begins
- Turkey calls meeting with NATO on Islamic State and PKK Kurdish separatists
- Govt. to import 10,000 tons onion from Pakistan, China
- Sri Lankan Air Force chief Gagan Pulasthi Bulathsinghala meets IAF counterpart Arup Raha
- Central forces to get 50 UAVs for surveillance: Rajnath Singh
- Marines case: India to contest Italy’s decision in International Tribunal for Law of the Sea
- Fears for tribes, forests as India eyes Andaman island expansion
- Tata Motors banks on defense sector business, exports to drive 30-40% of its revenues
- Government will not take any knee-jerk decision on P-Notes: Arun Jaitley
- Iran invites Indian investments worth USD 8 billion in infrastructure projects
- WTO members reach a landmark agreement, to cut tariffs on IT products worth more than 1 trillion dollars
- Google adds Lava to Android One portfolio
- Chinese shares fell down in the biggest single-day fall in over eight years
- Briton Chris Froome bags second Tour de France
- Indian women wrestling team bags silver in the Kazakhstan Presidential Cup
- Lahiri remains on top in Asian Tour Order of Merit
- Benoit Paire won his first career ATP Tour title at the Bastad Open
- Sreesanth will be permitted to practice in Kochi stadium: GDCA